Monday, February 25, 2013

There's An App for That!

As many of you know, I've been using KidBlog in my classroom for a little while now.  My kids are enthusiastic about writing and they love going to the lab to write about the most mundane things that they wouldn't even dream about writing about in the classroom.  While I know that eventually I'm going to have to make them write more interesting things in their blogs, I can't help but relish in the simple fact that as of right now, many of my more reluctant writers are having a great time writing!

As we lined up to go to the lab today, one my kids share with me the fact that there's an app for KidBlog.  As far as I can tell, it's only available on Apple devices, but I hope they'll make it available for Android devices soon since so many of my students have e-readers/tablets like the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet. Many of my students were really excited to hear about the app for KidBlog and I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to be moderating even more comments and posts than I already am.

And guess what?  I'm really excited about that.  My students are becoming digital citizens right before my very eyes!

Check out this video a teacher made to introduce his kids to the KidBlog app.  If I could figure out how to embed videos into KidBlog, I'd put this video up on my KidBlog.  (If you have any suggestions on how to do that, please feel free to share.  Until then, I guess I'll just put a link.)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Elena, the technology just keeps getting better to motivate students' interest in literacy. I did embed a YouTube in Kidblog; see the thread Kidblog in our class KidBlog. It works the same way as embedding a YouTube in Blogger when you need to use the HTML tab. Hope your students keep writing, replying, and communicating with digital tools. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, the kiddos are L-O-V-I-N-G it! As Judy said, there is a link on the top right of your blog post that allows you to select "html" in order to embed the code just like on Blogger. Let me know if you're interested in creating the next blog post about staying positive for the CMT's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nervous about trying Kidblog with my own students...but, you guys inspire me! I love that your reluctant writers are becoming more excited about writing through their blogging experience and it makes total sense that they are! I often have my students who do not love to write type on the laptops. Just using the computer makes them more eager to share via written word!

    ReplyDelete