Sunday, March 3, 2013

Google Tries to Get Game (Reflection 2.0)

I have to give Google credit for trying something new, but even after using this product, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

What product am I talking about?  Google Story Builder. At first, it seemed like it was being advertised as a digital storytelling product but when I opened it to see what it was like, it was actually nothing like PhotoStory or Animoto and any other product like that.  There are no graphics.  You don't get to import your own music.  It's just text set to preloaded, Google-provided music.  

They (Google) call it collaboration.  I'm not sure I see the collaborative part.  They call it a story builder.  I'm not sure I see that.  Maybe I'm just not understanding their intention.  Even Educational Technology and Mobile Learning seems to talk about the product as more than what I've found (that's where I found the link to this particular program).  They claim that the product "allows you to create mini-movies or video stories with the feel of Google Docs. You can also personalize the videos you create using the characters, story, and even music of your choosing and when you  finish you can share your final product with others".  Mini-movies?  Video stories?  If you figure out what they mean by that, can you please let me know?  Because quite frankly, I'm confused.  

Here's a video of Google's idea of what their program can be used for:

Here's a version of my class reflection using Google Story Builder (to the best of my understanding):  Class Reflection

2 comments:

  1. Just found this in one of the Google Communities I joined as part of an online course I am taking. It made me think of your post. The links will take you to some interesting uses of Google Story Builder. Thought you might like the one on Lincoln:

    Jim HomanMar 4, 2013 (edited) - General Discussion
    A fun and easy way for students (and teachers) to make short video stories is the Google docs story generator.

    Examples that I created.
    "How Lincoln Wrote" on Docs Generator
    http://docsstorybuilder.appspot.com/BV9PsD

    "I want a Unicyle" on Search Stories (Google decided to cancel Search Stories unfortunately, but the idea is similar to the Docs Stories)
    I want a Unicyle

    Here is the link to the google docs story maker
    http://gweb-docs-story-generator.appspot.com/

    Apologies if people have posted these before in this space. I'll bet no one has posted them today!

    I really had a lot of fun making the stories. Teaching is about having fun, right?

    ReplyDelete